Phoenix Roll Recipe
- 1 sheet -
- 1/2 cup -
Sushi Rice (Sushi Rice Recipe)
- 1 ounce - Tuna
- 1 ounce - Salmon
- 1/4 - Avocado
- Oil for Deep Frying (Canola or Peanut Oil is Recommended)
- 1 - Crab Stick
- 1/4 Cucumber
- 1 bowl - Warm Vinagered Water (Vinegared Water Recipe)
- Heat oil of choice in a pot for frying the roll.
- Take the half sheet of nori and put it shiny side down, with the long side facing you.
- Dip your hands in the bowl of vinagered water. The vinagered water is used to prevent the sushi rice from sticking. You want your hands to be damp, not wet.
- Gently pat and spread the 1/2 cup of sushi rice in an even layer on each sheet using your fingers. Do not mash or smear the rice on the nori.
- Cut the salmon into long, thin sticks.
- Cut the tuna into long, thin sticks.
- Slice the avocado into thin, crescent shaped pieces.
- Place the salmon horizontally across the nori.
- Place the tuna horizontally across the nori.
- Place the avacado slices horizontally across the nori.
- Roll the sushi using the Maki sushi rolling method.
- On the cutting board, cut the phoenix roll in half.
- Take the two halves, place them side by side, and cut the in half again.
- Cut all pieces in half again, which should leave you with 8 pieces.
- Dip each piece into the tempura batter.
- Place each peice one at a time into the hot oil. Do not let the pieces sink to the bottom of the pot. The best way to do that is to hold the pieces paritally in the oil for about 5 seconds before releasing into the oil. Cook the pieces until golden brown.
- Take the pieces out of the oil and place on a drying rack (or paper towels) to dry. Gently pat dry with a paper towel.