Spicy Shrimp Tempura Roll Recipe
- 1 sheet -
- 1/2 cup -
Sushi Rice (Sushi Rice Recipe)
- 3 - Large, Tempura Battered Shrimp (Tempura Batter Recipe)
- Oil for Deep Frying (Canola or Peanut Oil is Recommended)
- 1/4 Avocado
- 1 tablespoon - Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon - Miso
- 1 teaspoon - Red Pepper
- 1 bowl - Warm Vinagered Water (Vinegared Water Recipe)
- Heat oil of choice in a pot for frying shrimp.
- Place tempura battered shrimp into hot oil. Do not let shrimp sink to the bottom of the pot. The best way to do that is to hold the shrimp paritally in the oil for about 5 seconds before releasing into the oil. Cook shrimp until golden brown.
- Take shrimp out of oil and place on drying rack (or paper towels) to dry. Gently pat dry with a paper towel.
- Take the half sheet of nori and put it shiny side down, with the long side facing you.
- Dip your hands in the bowl of vinagered water. The vinagered water is used to prevent the sushi rice from sticking. You want your hands to be damp, not wet.
- Gently pat and spread the 1/2 cup of sushi rice in an even layer on each sheet using your fingers. Do not mash or smear the rice on the nori.
- Flip it over so that the rice is against the sushi rolling mat.
- Cut the avocado into thin crescent shaped pieces.
- In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, miso and red pepper together.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture horizontally across the nori.
- Place the tempura shrimp horizontally across the nori.
- Place the avocado horizontally across the nori.
- Roll the sushi using the Maki sushi rolling method.
- On the cutting board, cut the spicy shrimp tempura roll in half.
- Take the two halves, place them side by side, and cut the in half again.
- Cut all pieces in half again, which should leave you with 8 pieces.