Spider Roll Recipe
- Heat oil of choice in a pot for frying soft-shell crabs.
- Place tempura battered crabs into hot oil. Do not let crabs sink to the bottom of the pot. The best way to do that is to hold the crabs paritally in the oil for about 5 seconds before releasing into the oil. Cook the soft-shell crabs until golden brown.
- Take soft-shell crabs out of oil and place on drying rack (or paper towels) to dry. Gently pat dry with a paper towel.
- Take the half sheet of nori and put it shiny side down, with the long side facing you.
- Dip your hands in the bowl of vinagered water. The vinagered water is used to prevent the sushi rice from sticking. You want your hands to be damp, not wet.
- Gently pat and spread the 1/2 cup of sushi rice in an even layer on each sheet using your fingers. Do not mash or smear the rice on the nori.
- Julienne the cucumber into thin sticks.
- In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, miso and red pepper together.
- Cut the crab stick in half lengthwise.
- Place the soft-shell crabs horizontally across the nori.
- Place the cucumber horizontally across the nori.
- Place the crab sticks horizontally across the nori.
- Roll the sushi using the Maki sushi rolling method.
- On the cutting board, cut the spider roll in half.
- Take the two halves, place them side by side, and cut the in half again.
- Cut all pieces in half again, which should leave you with 8 pieces.